Enhancing your provider with additional Articles Tab

Feb 6, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Hi,

I would like to enhance this provider by adding another TAB "Articles". So users would be able to create hyperlinks to an article of Ventian or ZLDNN Article modules (or others). 

Currently your architecture doesn't make this very easy. So that is one suggestion you could think about. Anyway, that is not my main point now.
So for now I'm creating an additional tab to support ZLDNN Article modules. I'm changing the Browser.aspx and Browser.aspx.cs directly now, no questions there either.

But how can I debug my code? Just executing the solution as it is downloaded clearly will not work because then it isn't integrated with DNN, right ?

So I copy the source files to the \Providers\HtmlEditorProviders\CKEditor directory ? And execute from there ? Just like you would do when developing a module?
I tried that but I get an error related to the web.config of the DNN installation : "The element 'codeSubDirectories' cannot be defined below the application level."

So after trying for several hours to find the correct setup for doing some development on your provider I thought it to be wise to ask here if anyone can point me into the right direction.

Thanks
Rob

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:59 PM

There are several ways of debugging

two of them are described here:

http://forums.asp.net/p/940805/1124539.aspx#1124539 or you use the main dnn source as project source, and directly include my provider source then you can debug everything i one place.

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Adding the provider as a second project to an existing Module Dev solution was the tip that I followed.

That made debugging work (and easy).

Thx

Rob