Can't upload images

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:03 PM

I have installed the new version, and I can't upload images.  When I click send to server, it appears to be uploading, but then a narrow frame appears with a scroll bar.  The image isn't actually on the server.  I have my editor set to upload to user-specific folders, but the folder is not created on the server either. Also, I can not close the popup window.  The cancel button and close X don't work. 

Coordinator
Feb 21, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Are there any errors in the EventLog? On my tests it works with CKEditor Provider 1.12.08b.

But i think i should use the User Id instead of the Username as browser, maybe that causes the error with an illegal character in the username.

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:47 AM

I checked my DNN logs and didn't find anything related.  I also didn't find anything in my web server logs. 

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2011 at 10:31 AM

What happens when you open the File Browser inside the Editor instead of Uploading an Image?

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:00 PM

If I am logged in as host, I the browser loads fine.  If I log in as a normal user, I get a DNN error.  I added the userfiles directory to my server, and now normal users can open the browser too. 

If I try to upload a file from there, it appears to work, but the file is not on the server.  That happens regardless of who I am logged in as.  It does create the proper sub folder for the user though.

Coordinator
Feb 24, 2011 at 1:57 PM
bkevitt wrote:

If I am logged in as host, I the browser loads fine.  If I log in as a normal user, I get a DNN error.  I added the userfiles directory to my server, and now normal users can open the browser too.

If I try to upload a file from there, it appears to work, but the file is not on the server.  That happens regardless of who I am logged in as.  It does create the proper sub folder for the user though.

Can you post the error message?

Feb 24, 2011 at 5:13 PM

After I added the userfiles folder, I don't get an error.  The upload appears to work, but doesn't.  Also, is there supposed to be a progress bar?  

Coordinator
Feb 26, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Ok but i need to know what the error is, or i can not help you. And no there is no progress bar.

Feb 27, 2011 at 10:34 PM

There is no error.   I removed the directory, got the error and discovered that it was a foreign key error.  Somewhere along the way, the userfiles folder was added to my dnn folders table twice.  Removing them both and starting over got rid of the error.  So, I'm at the point where regardless of who I am logged in as, files are not uploaded.  It appears as though something is happening, but no file is uploaded. 

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:16 PM

As an update, I did a new install of DNN and have the same problem.

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Ok, I think I found the problem.  My test images have been around 2.5 Mb (not big images, but not small either).  If I upload a smaller image it works.  How do I set the max file size?

Wow, was that frustrating.  I can only imagine how my website users will feel when it happens to them.  Can you add a check for file size and give an error message if its too large?  That would be very helpful!

At least, I think this is my problem.  Still a little more investigation to do.

Coordinator
Mar 2, 2011 at 9:26 AM
bkevitt wrote:

Ok, I think I found the problem.  My test images have been around 2.5 Mb (not big images, but not small either).  If I upload a smaller image it works.  How do I set the max file size?

Wow, was that frustrating.  I can only imagine how my website users will feel when it happens to them.  Can you add a check for file size and give an error message if its too large?  That would be very helpful!

At least, I think this is my problem.  Still a little more investigation to do.

Good to hear that it is now working.

to increase the size you need to modify th web.config file. Take a look at the wiki page http://www.dotnetnuke.com/Community/Wiki/tabid/1409/Page/Working-with-large-files/Default.aspx.

I check if i can add an error message.

Mar 2, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I checked that and it is set to 8MB.  My files are only 2MB.  If I switch my default editor to RadEditor, I can upload them fine.

Mar 2, 2011 at 5:59 PM

To shed more light on the problem, the files I am having trouble with are .JPG files.  If I change the extension to lowercase or to .jpeg, it works. 

Coordinator
Mar 3, 2011 at 10:17 AM
bkevitt wrote:

To shed more light on the problem, the files I am having trouble with are .JPG files.  If I change the extension to lowercase or to .jpeg, it works.

Ah nasty bug, thanks for finding it. Currently the file extension check is case sensitive. I fix that in next release.