File Browser - Allowed Roles problem

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Hi

Setting the "File Browser Settings" -> "Allowed Roles" to only "Administrators". http://screencast.com/t/JhFKh1HQuD

But when I log in as a regsitered user, not administrator, I still get the "Browse Server".

Am I doing something wrong?

I have saved these settings for the complete portal, and tried to "Remove Settings" to see if something got stuck somewhere in the system. Still no luck.

DNN: 5.6.2

CK Provider 1.14.02

Regards
Vidar

Coordinator
Apr 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Did you delete all Settings? For example the Settings for the Module Instance and/or Page?

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Only deleted settings for Portal, and then executed the settings for portal once more.

Do I need to delete for Page and module also?

But I cannot go into all modules and all pages on the entire site to purge settings for all pages and all modules??

Coordinator
Apr 18, 2012 at 11:21 AM

No only when you have created (saved) a Setting for a Page and/or Module Instance you have to delete it.

Or did you modified the default settings file CKEditorDefaultSettings.xml in the Portal Home Directory. Which will be used when no Module Instance/Portal/Page  Settings Are found.

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I get an error when I click the radiobutton for settings for "Page", the error is: 

Default.aspx?tabid=41&error=%27BrowserRootDir%27+has+a+SelectedValue+which+is+invalid+because+it+does+not+exist+in+the+list+of+items.%0d%0aParameter+name%3a+value

Any ideas?

Do you know what tables these data is stored in?

Regards
Vidar 

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM

The Settings are saved in the HostSettings Table. The error will be fixed in 1.14.03 (New Beta Version online)

I also added an Option to delete all Portal/Page/Module Settings for the Current Portal to make it easier to delete all those settings.

Apr 23, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Super.

Thanks alot!

Regards
Vidar 

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Hi

Just downloaded and installed the new version. 1.14.4, and the roles works great! But where have the last tab gone? The one where we could only upload a picture, but not browse the server. Is there a setting I have missed?

Regards
Vidar 

Coordinator
Apr 30, 2012 at 12:53 PM
PromSys wrote:

Hi

Just downloaded and installed the new version. 1.14.4, and the roles works great! But where have the last tab gone? The one where we could only upload a picture, but not browse the server. Is there a setting I have missed?

Regards
Vidar

Looks like the "File Browser Settings" -> "Allowed Roles" is now disabled for everyone. Are you using the default settings now? By default the Admin role should be allowd

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I set the role to Administrator and tried, I also tried to set it to "Registered users", and tried to disable it for them, no matter what i try, the tab is not there. I am talking about the right-most tab on wich there was just the ability to upload an image, not browse the server.  

Coordinator
Apr 30, 2012 at 2:25 PM

ok sorry there is a check if the current user has write access to the current upload folder if not the upload tab is not shown. So you need to make sure that the current user is in a role where he has write access to the folder. You can check the access rights from Admin -> File Manager

May 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I tried this, still no tab. I set the "Default Upload Folder" to a spesiffic folder, and this role has "Registered Users" with the rights "Open" + "Browse" + "Write".

But the tab is not visible, it is not visible to Host Admin etihter.

Coordinator
May 3, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Edited May 3, 2012 at 1:56 PM
PromSys wrote:

I tried this, still no tab. I set the "Default Upload Folder" to a spesiffic folder, and this role has "Registered Users" with the rights "Open" + "Browse" + "Write".

But the tab is not visible, it is not visible to Host Admin etihter.

But the "Browse Server" function is visible right? It does work as it should be on all my dnn test installations. Did you actually delete all settings maybe there are still some settings that override them.

May 3, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Yes, the "Browse Server" is visible, but that is not the functionality I need. I need to be able to upload images without the user able to browse the files on the server.

Coordinator
May 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM

ok now i understand, but currently thats not possible the Upload function is only visible when you allow File Browser Access, allow only upload access is currently not possible, and was never in previous versions. I could add this as option but i don't think it is really an usable option, why allowing upload access but not select from previous uploads?

May 3, 2012 at 2:33 PM

The reason for this is in a forum, all registered users can upload to a certain folder, and therefore also delete from this folder, and thereby delete other people's images. I guess they would not like that. :-)

So for this to work for users to be able to upload images to the forum without deleting other users images, we would only give them the ability to upload images. 

Does this make sense?

Coordinator
May 3, 2012 at 3:14 PM
PromSys wrote:

The reason for this is in a forum, all registered users can upload to a certain folder, and therefore also delete from this folder, and thereby delete other people's images. I guess they would not like that. :-)

So for this to work for users to be able to upload images to the forum without deleting other users images, we would only give them the ability to upload images.

Does this make sense?

Sure i understand that, but there is a solution for that enable the Option "Use Subdirs for non Admins" it will create an subfolder for each user "userfiles\username" in the upload folder

May 7, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Yes, I know, but we have used the email address as user login, and therefore the customer does not want users to see other users email addresses. So this solution does not work in this spesiffic case.

Coordinator
May 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM
PromSys wrote:

Yes, I know, but we have used the email address as user login, and therefore the customer does not want users to see other users email addresses. So this solution does not work in this spesiffic case.

I could change it to use the userid as folder name instead of user name. A user name can be changed a user id not.

May 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM
tha_watcha wrote:
I could change it to use the userid as folder name instead of user name. A user name can be changed a user id not.

Yes, this would be very nice, specially if it creates the folders if they do not exists. :-) 

Coordinator
May 12, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Yes of course it will automatically create the folder if not exists. New Beta Version is online.

May 15, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Good!

Can you post it here when the RFC is out?

Coordinator
May 19, 2012 at 4:56 AM
PromSys wrote:

Good!

Can you post it here when the RFC is out?

New Version is out.

May 21, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Thank you!