Adding Custom Template fails

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:37 AM
Can anyone confirm for me that adding custom template as outlined here https://dnnckeditor.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Add%20Custom%20Template&referringTitle=Documentation works?

Even when I copy & paste the code from the example therein and select in "Editor Templates File" in the Editor Options under Editor Templates I can't get the custom template to work. There is no sign of the document structure of this template in the DOM inspector. Yet I can see the css style file there but in three occurrences which is pretty strange.

Is that all there is to it or should I change more settings somewhere else? Or is it a bug again?

I'm on DNN 7.4.4. and CKEditor 2.0.14.
Feb 15, 2015 at 10:23 AM
Same problem that I found today, trying to replace the default templates as per the instructions. If I create a MyTemplates.xml and change the Editor Templates File to MyTemplates.xml the default templates are still shown.

I have logged this as an issue and hope that some fix or additional instruction is available soon.
Feb 15, 2015 at 2:32 PM
Edited Feb 15, 2015 at 2:34 PM
Update to CKEditor 2.0.1 (EDIT: should be 2.1) did not correct the situation for me.
Coordinator
Feb 16, 2015 at 8:42 AM
Tried to reproduce it with a fresh new installation of the Editor and the Templates show up as expected.
Feb 16, 2015 at 11:38 AM
I'm sorry but is that the way to do it?
What about users who upgraded/updated CKEditor over the course of time? I'm such a user for one and your post suggests I should first uninstall CKEditor and then reinstall.

Shouldn't you test the Editor's behavior in updated environment as well?
Feb 16, 2015 at 11:44 AM
I don't believe that the issue is related to upgrade or new installs.

I tested CKEditor on a fresh install of DNN and new install of CKEditor in a clean Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 environment and across multiple browsers.
I also installed on one existing DNN installation which also resulted in Custom Templates not showing, always shows built-in templates.

The issue that I have already explained is present in every installation that I have tested.
Feb 16, 2015 at 11:46 AM
tha_watcha wrote:
Tried to reproduce it with a fresh new installation of the Editor and the Templates show up as expected.
Just to confirm, we are talking about "Custom Templates" and you are saying that your tests are working?
Feb 16, 2015 at 11:50 AM
Greg_Greensky wrote:
I'm sorry but is that the way to do it?
What about users who upgraded/updated CKEditor over the course of time? I'm such a user for one and your post suggests I should first uninstall CKEditor and then reinstall.

Shouldn't you test the Editor's behavior in updated environment as well?
Greg, my tests where on fresh installs of DNN and CKEditor, my tests failed so I don't agree that the reason for it failing is related to upgrades.

I can only suggest that either there is a problem with CKEditor or the instructions are different for this version than what is currently documented. Keeping in mind probably few people have a requirement for "Custom Templates", however we do, it's a showstopper for us.
Coordinator
Feb 16, 2015 at 12:05 PM
Well the documentation is still valid, the only thing I noticed today is that the sample templates from the documentation are the actual default templates from the editor.

Did you guys saved the settings as portal, page or module settings? To make sure that the settings are correctly saved is the correct file selected again when reloading the saved settings in the settings window?
Feb 16, 2015 at 12:12 PM
tha_watcha wrote:
Well the documentation is still valid, the only thing I noticed today is that the sample templates from the documentation are the actual default templates from the editor.

Did you guys saved the settings as portal, page or module settings? To make sure that the settings are correctly saved is the correct file selected again when reloading the saved settings in the settings window?
In my case I used the structure of the sample templates, but left all but one template and changed the content, i.e. template name, description and CData (HTML)

I have tested as Portal and also Page.

Yes,changed settings are shown correctly in editor settings, and also shown correctly in DB.

IIS and DNN caching is also disabled and Client resource management is off.

I am completely baffled!
Feb 16, 2015 at 2:16 PM
As Technica expected the issue doesn't have to do with the upgrade/update- I just deleted the whole CKEditor install (CKEDitor Provider and module) and there is no improvement.

Additionally after the upgrade I suffer from another issue with CKEditor - when in popup mode the Editor is still loading and the three bars never cease to stop bouncing.

I tested the module both in embedded mode (bulletin) and in a popup - no improvement whatsoever and as stated above I got the bouncing bars.

Tested settings for portal, page and module. No joy yet.
Coordinator
Feb 17, 2015 at 8:35 AM
Edited Feb 17, 2015 at 8:35 AM
Any chance that one of you can provide me access to the site (via email) so i can look at the problem directly?

You can contact me via thewatcher AT watchersnet.de
Feb 17, 2015 at 9:42 AM
tha_watcha wrote:
Any chance that one of you can provide me access to the site (via email) so i can look at the problem directly?

You can contact me via thewatcher AT watchersnet.de
Hi Tha_watcha
I am afraid that we are just about to take our server offline because we are moving premises so while I would like to get to the bottom of this issue we have a huge task ahead of us for the next week or two.

I will certainly return to this issue once we have gotten back to normal
Craig
Feb 17, 2015 at 10:14 AM
As soon as I set a host account for you I'll send you the login credentials via email.
Feb 17, 2015 at 11:24 AM
Please check your email inbox - the credentials should be there.
Coordinator
Feb 19, 2015 at 9:13 AM
Greg_Greensky wrote:
Thanks i got your email. And i was finally able to reproduce the issue. I uploaded 02.01.01 BETA 2 which hopefully fixes the issue, and also the issue with custom content css files (Which you also reported in a another topic right?)
Feb 19, 2015 at 9:17 AM
tha_watcha wrote:
Greg_Greensky wrote:
Thanks i got your email. And i was finally able to reproduce the issue. I uploaded 02.01.01 BETA 2 which hopefully fixes the issue, and also the issue with custom content css files (Which you also reported in a another topic right?)
Tha_watcha
That is great news!
Greg thank you very much for giving access to you site to help identify and resolve this issue.
Unfortunately, I will not be able to test until the first week of April. I look forward to good news reports.
Feb 19, 2015 at 9:31 AM
Right, this is a great news.

tha_watcha, you're right about the css problems I stumbled upon, too.
Hopefully, you've had them all sorted out which I'll be able to check as soon as I lay my hands on my dev machine.

For the time being I'm not deleting tha_watcha's account on my website as it may come handy should any other issues crop up. Hopefully not, of course.
Feb 19, 2015 at 2:57 PM
Edited Feb 19, 2015 at 3:29 PM
Regretfully, 2.1.1. Beta doesn't work for me.
When on a dev machine I try the CKEditor 2.1.1 Beta load the files of:

MyTemplates.xml which is as follows:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<Templates templateName="default">
    <Template title="Two lines above and below">
        <Description>Opis  szablonu</Description>
        <Html>
            <![CDATA[
                <div class="headerPanelik">headerPanelik </div>
                <div class="conik2">conik2 </div>
                <div class="bottomsCorek">bottomsCorek </div>
            ]]>
        </Html>
    </Template>
    </Templates>
and the file of Styl edytora CKEditor.css which content is below:
body {
    display: inline;
    float: none;
    left: 0;
    margin: 0;
    position: relative;
    width: 100%;
    }

.headerPanelik {
    background-attachment: scroll;
    background-clip: border-box;
    background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);
    background-image: linear-gradient(#000000 40%, #1d1d1d 85%, #262626 95%);
    background-position: 0 0;
    background-repeat: repeat;
    background-size: auto auto;
    border-bottom: 5px solid #1a7cda;
    box-shadow: 6px 10px 17px black;
    display: block;
    height: 15%;
    position: relative;
    z-index: 201;
    }

.conik2 {
    background-color: #eaeaea;
    border-top: 1px solid #808080;
    display:block;
    font-size:130%;
    padding:20px;
    }

.bottomsCorek {
    background-color: #000000;
    border-top: 5px solid #1a7cda;
    bottom: 0;
    box-shadow: 6px -10px 17px black;
    display:block;
    font-size: x-small;
    height:10%;
    position: fixed;
    text-align: center;
}
the CKEditor doesn't implement the HTML structure from the XML file and the styling from the css file.
Maybe there is something wrong with these files which I do not know about.

That was my dev machine using 2.1.1. Beta of CKEditor.

When it comes to my production site (where I have the CKEditor 2.1.0) I tried to apply the same files on the newsletters page (http://spec-pruszkow.info/en/Admin/Newsletters which Ingo has access to) but to no avail, either.
Additionally, after I reset the CKEditor settings Portal-wide the link under the editor stopped responding for all HTML modules in the whole Portal.

Now I can't edit any CKEditor settings.
Disregard above two paragraphs as I have sorted out the problem on my own - the Custom Editor options hid under the other pages. Shouldn't it be on top of them, anyway? :)
Coordinator
Feb 19, 2015 at 7:15 PM
As for the xml templates it is missing the imagebasepath attribute on templates and the image attribute for template.
Jun 30, 2015 at 10:46 AM
I was having same problem,
using chrome on a website with caching.

finally - started "developer mode" disallowed cache and refreshed/reloaded page.

Now it works.
It seem like a very heavily cached file the MyTemplates.xml